Jordan and Daddy

Jordan and Daddy
Sometime in the nice weather at the playground

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

After THON

Okay, so I didn't get around to posting afterwards, sue me I ran out of phone and laptop battery on the last day :P

First I would like to thank everyone who donated to THON in any way, shape or form. I would more importantly like to thank the Penn State University Students who care, especially the dancers and our organization, the BEE HOUSE! Matt and Rob you two were awesome!! :)

Yes that is right! Over 10.7 Million dollars was raised by these awesome people. Now many people have said "Oh, I cannot beleive it, even after all that Joe Paterno, Jerry Sanduski stuff".

First off; NO, NO, NO, NO, NO!! SHAME ON YOU for thinking that, that all had nothing to do with what THON is about. Yes obviously it did not affect donations, however the only corelation Joe Paterno had to THON was his contual support of both dancers and families. But as I said, Those two had no affec



Overall I have to say that THON is quite an experience, no matter how many mini-thons at local schools I would  have gone to could have prepared me for this! If you ever have that particular weekend (or even a day) free next year I highly recommend you go as a spectator, yes you will sit in the nose bleed sections because the stadium is packed...but you have to go!

So for those that don't know what THON is, I will tell you. THON is a 46-8 hour "dance marathon" held at Penn State, in State College, PA. The dancers are Penn State students, all of them "THON"  because they care (among other reasons), but, why is THON held? It is held to raise money and awareness for childhood (pediatric) cancer. A full detailed history can be found on THONs website.


THONs efforts support an organization called the Four Diamonds Fund which helps families being treated at Penn State Hershey Medical Center in Hershey, Pennsylvania. The Four Diamonds Fund was founded by the parents of Christopher Millard, who died from a form of cancer in 1972, that is now cureable. If The Four Diamonds sounds familiar, like a movie, you are not crazy, there was a Disney movie based on Chris.

Things that THON and the Four Diamonds Fund have helped to pay for in the last 40+ years:
  • research for new treatments
  • expenses that insurance does not cover
  • Specialized pediatric oncology nurses
  • Social workers
  • Child Life Specialists
  • Music Therapist
  • Clinical Psychologist
  • Clinical Nutritionist

Together, we'll make a difference in the life of a child!




    No comments:

    Post a Comment